Want The Naked Dog to test your products?


If you are a company who would like The Naked Dog to review your products and then have us blog about our experience, please send an email to RTrescue @ new.rr. com (remove spaces) and we'll be happy to send you our mailing address.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Ruff Weather Dog Door by Ideal Pet Products

The Naked Dog learned to use a dog door this spring when I installed a patio panel door.  That door wasn't a great solution.  It took some retrofitting with weather stripping to get a so-so seal against the weather and if it rained and was windy, the door flap would blow open and get water on my floor.  I'll never forget the first windy night.  There I was sitting in the living room, watching TV, when the flap opened, except all the dogs were inside.  Kind of freaked me out, but it was just the wind.  I knew then that door had to go before winter.

I looked a number of door models.  I looked at the auto-open door where the dog wears an electronic collar and the door opens when the dog approaches.  That seemed like an electronic failure waiting to happen.   First I had to have batteries on hand at all times, and I have three dogs, which meant I had to purchase three collars.  And what about fosters?  Sometimes I have 1-2 fosters, and that means another 1-2 collars for a possible 5 in all.  Way too expensive of a method.

I finally settled on the Ruff Weather Door by Ideal Pet Products.  The rating on this door by folks was 5-star (12) and the lowest was a 3-star (2) based on the 20 reviews.   I purchased my door through my local Home Depot and before purchasing it, I specifically asked if the inner wall part was in the box as well and was assured it was.  Well, it wasn't and guess what?  Home Depot sells the doors, but not the wall kits, but they can special order it.  If you have to do that, buy the kit through Amazon and it will cost about half.  Luckily, my contractor told me to hold off as he thought he would just frame it in.

It took about 1 1/2 hours for the contractor to complete the task and this did include the internal framing he did.  I have to say, I'm glad the kit wasn't in there, I like the wood much better because it will hold up better over time.  I painted the interior wood white and then caulked around the interior seams of the door where it meets the wood.
                         exterior view - in use

Initially, the dogs were not too keen on this door.  First, they kept going to the place where the patio door panel was and I would redirect them to the other end of the door where the new door was.  Getting them to go through it was also a challenge.  First, this door seals much tighter than the other one and it took a little more effort to push it open.  Second, they suddenly had to contend with a small "wall hall."  My old man of 15 was so terrified, that he actually crammed himself all up in the little "wall hall" rather than simply go out the second flap.   The Naked Dog put all four feet against the door and it was like I was trying to cram some giant spider through the door.  His four legs might as well have been eight with the struggling I did.  Third, they weren't familiar with a dual flap, so I ended up taping the exterior flap up for a few days.  That helped.

My other problem was that where I had to install it, meant it was not off the deck, so I had to fashion some form of steps.  Initially, I used some concrete blocks, but my old man, nearly blind was not comfortable using them.  I opted to purchase a set of steps like he has by the bed for use outside.  Since he is familiar with the steps, this has resolved all of his fears.

I am very pleased with this door so far.  With temps in the low 30's at night, I don't feel a draft and because the magnetic flaps are stronger, when it rains and blows, as it has been, even the outer flap doesn't seem to budge.  It certainly seems as if this door is a perfect solution to our Wisconsin winters.   The cost of this door was $94 at Home Depot and sells for $89 on Amazon.  Wall kit not included.

The Naked Dog gives this door 5 stars.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post! I see you have lap siding as do I. Did the contractor cut the siding so that the exterior side sits flush or is it just sitting on top of the siding with caulk in all the low places? Does that make sense? Ii can't tell from your photo and I'm trying to install one myself and really struggling! So glad to read about framing it in using wood rather than the dumb wall kit! (lol) I'm totally going to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your this post while searching for some related information on blog search...Its a good post..keep posting and update the information.
    electronic dog door

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. Can shock collars cause heart problems in dogs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shopping online for high-quality pet supplies for your pets can be quick and easy depending on which online pet stores you use pet supplies

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a really good article. You make this information interesting and engaging. You give readers a lot to think about and I appreciate that kind of writing. feandrea 67 multi level

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have read your blog it is very helpful for me. I want to say thanks to you. I have bookmark your site for future updates. inside dog house

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. dog hyperthyroidism treatment

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a great website.. The Design looks very good.. Keep working like that!. how to stop my golden retriever from shedding

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is really nice to hear. thank you for the update and good luck. Learn More

    ReplyDelete
  11. This content is written very well. Your use of formatting when making your points makes your observations very clear and easy to understand. Thank you. Learn More

    ReplyDelete
  12. Succeed! It could be one of the most useful blogs we have ever come across on the subject. Excellent info! I’m also an expert in this topic so I can understand your effort very well. Thanks for the huge help. View More

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish more authors of this type of content would take the time you did to research and write so well. I am very impressed with your vision and insight. Dog Ear Infection Remedy

    ReplyDelete
  14. This content is written very well. Your use of formatting when making your points makes your observations very clear and easy to understand. Thank you. View More

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign. What is the Best Flea and Tick Prevention for Dogs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each & every tips of your post are awesome. Thanks a lot for sharing. Keep blogging.. Soft Cat Food

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice post! This is a very nice blog that I will definitively come back to more times this year! Thanks for informative post. What Can I Give My Dog to Increase Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. Dog training collar with remote

    ReplyDelete
  19. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. www.allaboutgsd.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great survey, I'm sure you're getting a great response. fruits and vegetables for dogs

    ReplyDelete